The Сhurch of Our Savior on the Spilled Blood
This marvelous church in traditional Russian style was built on the spot where Emperor Alexander II was assassinated in March 1881. Both inside and outside, the church is decorated with mosaics, designed by the most prominent Russian artists of the time. The church was closed for services in the 1930s, when the Bolsheviks went on an offensive against religion and destroyed churches all over the country. It remained closed and under restoration for over 30 years and was finally re-opened in 1997 in all its dazzling former glory.